26 May 2011

Ride to the last station on every line on the T (Kim Courtney)

Well, well, well, my dear friend MBTA, we meet again, but this time it is to fulfill a dare from my transportation planner cousin. I have lived in Boston over 6 years and have been on each T line, but I can't say I've been to the end of each. This is such a great dare from Kim, and it has reawakened my curiosity about my everyday surroundings.

For anyone not familiar with the T. The T is the MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority) and has an extensive history, which I could not so justice in a summary.


Blue - Bowdoin - This is the closest T stop to my office and is open during business hours.
Blue - Wonderland - coming soon...

Green - Lechmere - I lived two blocks from this stop with Dennis. I love the EC and if I pause, I can still hear the screeching of the train rounding the corner in my head.
Green (B) - Boston College - After countless moments of my life wasted... the B line finally ends. Last stop, is mostly for BC students, which are tame after suffering through stop after stop of BU students.
Green (C) - Cleveland Circle - Steps from this stop is the reservoir with a great flat path for running/walking/pondering.
Green (D) - Riverside - The D line is a long long line, but a beautiful ride. The tracks disappears behind trees with quick peeks to beautiful, private yards in expensive Newton homes.
Green (E) - Health Street - There is not much going on here, except that it is the closest stop to my friend, Robin's house. So actually, I guess that means there is a lot going on here.

Orange - Forest Hills - My first winter in Boston, before I registered my car in MA, I drove to Forest Hills to park my car and commute into Chinatown. Now that I've been here a while, a trip to Forest Hills usually means the start to a long stroll tracing the old E Line tracks down Center Street or a visit to Arnold Arboretum.
Orange - Oak Grove - coming soon...

Red - Alewife - Well, this is essentially a parking lot for commuters, but if ou walk throught he office park, you can find Summer Shack with its super tasty lobster rolls.
Red - Braintree - coming soon...
Red - Ashmont - This stop has been completely remodeled int he past couple years. I noticed that last time I was there Ashmont Station now has a sign that says "Ashmont/Peabody Square". Hello, gentrifcation, your train has arrived.
Red - Mattapan Line - Mattapan - coming soon...

Silver - Dudley Station - Where do I start with Dudley Station? It is changing and has a bad rap. Take it from someone who has stood out there regularly, trouble finds trouble; I'm not trouble, and I've never had a problem. The great thing about Dudley is it is close to good eats - Silver Slipper and Haley House. If you are looking for an excuse to go there, these two places could be it.

Silver - Airport - Been here, done that, hope to get back to it real soon! Perhaps to come to Seattle for a visit, cousin.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I am impressed. I always like to ride to the end of the line, just to see what's there. When in the Bay Area often an adventure for Sander and I was riding to the end of one of the lines. Usually they ended in the middle of a freeway. Your's sounds much more exciting. Thanks for taking my dare!

    ReplyDelete