21 February 2010

Get highlights in your hair (Brett Parker)

The motivation behind the dare was for me to embrace something bold and to experiment with my appearance a little, so why not?

I can say I've gotten complacent with my "look" - brown hair, pony tail, flat iron, sometimes curly, recycle, repeat, messy bun thing. For those of you that remember the bleached out pink or blue streaks of 2002, as foxy as those were, my job these days is not as accommodating to that color choice. Here is my BEFORE:

Do blondes really have more fun? Is this my chance to find out?

It seems I won't find out yet. I arrived at the salon a mess. Still wearing my hiking boots from the trip to the Fells that morning, I hadn't even thought about how to express my hair color desires. I believe I contradicted myself five times in trying to describe how light I was willing to go. The colorist sensed some underlying hesitation to embracing the bold change I want and I know would thrill Brett. So I believe I have completed Step One to ease myself into drastic hair change. I never said a dare had to be finished all at once, right. Here is my AFTER for now:
It's slightly lighter, but still  very predictably brown. Stay tuned, people. Change is on its way, but it moves slowly.

So on my journey to make my inner blonde an outer blonde...

Laura Brelsford snapped this photo of me on the left after my hair appointment in March . On the right is a photo from August. I am keeping up with the lighter hair, but I'm not going to be a blonde.  I'm pretty happy with what I got so I think I'll work it.

8 comments:

  1. I have found a lot of pictures of Christina Ricci as a blonde-- more a warm caramel blonde... she looked hot! I think you could totally work it, and I can not wait to see it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I am hoping for something a little more drastic than the Helios shot (although I have always loved that picture-- I think I took it!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also remember a green ring around the bathtub when you were in high school...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can promise this will be a professional job and no stained bathtubs from my "dye". Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think about going warm - red tones

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh yeah, what she said!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Feeling a little drab in the color department myself. Might have to try something new. Great to see you at the Border on Saturday! Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks awesome!
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete